What does a Life Coach do?
Learn all about Life Coach duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Life Coach.
Published 3 min read
A life coach is a person who helps people make positive changes in their lives. They may help people set goals, overcome obstacles, and make choices that will lead to a more fulfilling life.
Life Coach job duties include:
- Act as a sounding board for clients exploring their options and making decisions
- Help clients identify and clarify their goals
- Help clients develop action plans to achieve their goals
- Encourage and motivate clients to take action and follow through with their plans
- Help clients overcome obstacles and setbacks
- Hold clients accountable to taking action and achieving results
- Celebrate progress and successes with clients
- Provide support and encouragement during difficult times
- Help clients maintain focus and motivation
- Refer clients to other resources as needed
Life Coach Job Requirements
There are no formal education requirements for becoming a life coach, although many coaches have at least a bachelor's degree. Some life coaches are certified through professional organizations, such as the International Coach Federation or the Center for Credentialing and Education. Many life coaches have experience in fields such as human resources, counseling, teaching, or management.
Life Coach Skills
- Asking questions
- Providing feedback
- Setting goals
- Developing action plans
- Celebrating progress
How to become a Life Coach
A life coach is someone who helps people identify and achieve their personal and professional goals. A life coach typically works with clients one-on-one, but can also work with groups.
If you’re interested in becoming a life coach, there are a few things you need to do. First, you need to assess your own skills and qualifications. Do you have what it takes to be a life coach? Are you a good listener? Do you have a non-judgmental attitude? Do you have experience helping others achieve their goals?
If you think you have what it takes, the next step is to get certified. There are many different certification programs available, so do some research to find one that’s right for you. Once you’re certified, you can start marketing yourself as a life coach. Let your friends and family know what you do, and don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. You can also join professional organizations, like the International Coach Federation, which can help you network with other coaches and find clients.
Becoming a life coach can be a rewarding career that allows you to help others achieve their dreams. By assessing your skills and getting certified, you can start marketing yourself as a life coach and begin making a difference in people’s lives.
Related: Life Coach Resume Example