What does a History Teacher do?
Learn all about History Teacher duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a History Teacher.
Published 3 min read
A history teacher is someone who teaches students about the past. This can include things like ancient civilizations, wars, and political movements. History teachers typically use a variety of methods to help their students learn, including lectures, discussions, and simulations.
History Teacher job duties include:
- Planning lessons and units of work in line with the curriculum
- Selecting and using a range of resources, including audio-visual aids, to support learning
- Organizing and supervising field trips and other educational activities
- Encouraging students to be actively engaged in their own learning
- Assessing students' progress and providing feedback
- Preparing students for examinations and other assessments
- Keeping up to date with developments in one's own subject area
- Liaising with parents and guardians about students' progress
- Contributing to the development and implementation of school policies
History Teacher Job Requirements
A History Teacher typically is required to have a Bachelor's degree in History. In addition, most states require History Teachers to be certified in order to teach in public schools. Many History Teachers have a Master's degree in History or Education. Most History Teachers have several years of teaching experience.
History Teacher Skills
- Classroom management
- Critical thinking
- Instructional design
- Knowledge of content and pedagogy
How to become a History Teacher
There are many steps to becoming a history teacher. The first step is to get a degree in history. This can be done by completing an undergraduate or graduate degree at a college or university. Once you have your degree, the next step is to complete a teaching certification program. This program will prepare you to teach history in a classroom setting. After you have completed your teaching certification program, you will need to find a job teaching history in a school.
Related: History Teacher Resume Example