What does a Fundraiser do?
Learn all about Fundraiser duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Fundraiser.
Published 3 min read
A fundraiser is someone who helps to raise money for a cause or organization. They may do this by organizing events, soliciting donations, or both.
Fundraiser job duties include:
- Develops and implements fundraising strategies and programs
- Builds relationships with potential donors and cultivates existing donor relationships
- Identifies, researches, and solicits prospective donors
- Develops proposals and presentations to solicit support
- Stewards donors through effective communications and acknowledgement
- Oversees fundraising database and records
- Tracks donations and produces reports
- Plans and executes fundraising events
- Collaborates with other staff members on marketing and communications initiatives that support fundraising goals
- Performs other duties as assigned
Fundraiser Job Requirements
There are no formal education requirements for fundraisers, although many have at least a bachelor's degree. Certification is not required, but many fundraisers choose to pursue certification through the Association of Fundraising Professionals. Experience is also not required, but most fundraisers have at least some experience working in the nonprofit sector.
- Donor relations
- Grant writing
- Event planning
- Public speaking
How to become a Fundraiser
There are many ways to become a fundraiser. One way is to contact a local charity or organization and inquire about volunteering. Many times, these organizations are in need of individuals to help with fundraising events or campaigns. Another way to become a fundraiser is to start your own fundraising campaign. This can be done by creating a website or social media page dedicated to your campaign. You can also reach out to family and friends to ask for donations. Finally, you can hold your own fundraising event, such as a bake sale or car wash. By taking these steps, you can become a successful fundraiser.
Related: Fundraiser Resume Example