What does a Forklift Driver do?
Learn all about Forklift Driver duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Forklift Driver.
Published 3 min read
A forklift driver is responsible for operating a forklift to move, locate, relocate, stack, and count merchandise. They may also be responsible for loading and unloading trucks.
Forklift Driver job duties include:
- Drive a forklift to move, locate, relocate, stack, and count merchandise.
- Read work orders or receive oral instructions to determine work assignments and material and equipment needs.
- Inspect the forklift for defects and notifies supervisor of any problems.
- Operate all powered industrial trucks in a safe manner in compliance with OSHA standards and company policies.
- Load and unload trailers using a sit-down or stand-up forklift.
- Pick orders using an electronic scanner and delivers them to the correct location.
- Replenish inventory as needed by moving product from the receiving area to the correct storage location.
- Perform general warehouse maintenance such as sweeping, mopping, and emptying trash cans.
- Follow all company safety policies and procedures.
Forklift Driver Job Requirements
Most forklift drivers have a high school diploma, although some jobs may require a driver to have completed a forklift training program. Some employers may require certification from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Many forklift drivers have several years of experience driving a forklift.
Forklift Driver Skills
- Safe operation
- Depth perception
- Ability to work in cramped spaces
- Ability to work in high places
- Ability to work in hot, cold, or dusty environments
- Ability to work around moving objects
How to become a Forklift Driver
Forklift drivers are an important part of many industrial and commercial operations. They are responsible for moving heavy loads around warehouses, factories, and other facilities. If you are interested in becoming a forklift driver, there are a few things you need to know.
First, you will need to obtain a forklift license. This can be done by taking a training course at a community college or vocational school. The course will teach you the basics of operating a forklift, including safety procedures.
Once you have your license, you will need to find a job that requires forklift operation. Many companies that use forklifts will list open positions on their websites or in job databases. You can also check with staffing agencies that specialize in industrial and warehouse positions.
When you have found a position that interests you, be sure to read the job description carefully. Some forklift driver positions may require additional training or experience. If you meet the qualifications for the position, be sure to apply and include your resume and forklift license information.
With hard work and dedication, you can become a successful forklift driver. This career can offer good pay and benefits, as well as opportunities for advancement.
Related: Forklift Driver Resume Example