What does a Cloud Engineer do?
Learn all about Cloud Engineer duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Cloud Engineer.
Published 3 min read
A cloud engineer is responsible for designing, building, and maintaining cloud computing systems. They work with clients to determine their needs and then design and implement a solution that meets those needs. They also work with other engineers to ensure that the system is reliable and scalable.
Cloud Engineer job duties include:
- Design, implement, and maintain cloud-based solutions
- Plan and execute migration of workloads to the cloud
- Monitor and optimize cloud architecture for cost, performance, and security
- Ensure compliance with security and governance policies
- Collaborate with other teams to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues
- Keep up with latest trends and best practices in cloud computing
- Write documentation to help others understand the cloud infrastructure
- Train and mentor other engineers on cloud technologies
- Provide 24/7 on-call support as needed
Cloud Engineer Job Requirements
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the job requirements for a Cloud Engineer can vary depending on the employer. However, in general, most employers will require at least a Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field, and some form of certification in cloud computing (such as from Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure). Additionally, experience working with cloud computing platforms is also highly desired.
Cloud Engineer Skills
- Route 53
How to become a Cloud Engineer
A cloud engineer is responsible for designing, building, and maintaining a company’s cloud computing infrastructure. A cloud engineer’s job is to ensure that a company’s data is stored securely and efficiently in the cloud.
There are a few steps you can take to become a cloud engineer. Firstly, you should earn a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Then, you should gain experience working in IT or a related field. After that, you should get certified in cloud technologies from a reputable provider, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure. Finally, you should stay up-to-date on the latest trends in cloud computing.
The best way to learn about cloud engineering is on the job. However, there are many online resources that can help you get started, such as AWS’s website and the Microsoft Azure website. In addition, there are many books and online courses available on this topic.
Related: Cloud Engineer Resume Example