What does a Classroom Assistant do?
Learn all about Classroom Assistant duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Classroom Assistant.
Published 3 min read
A classroom assistant helps teachers with instruction and supervises students in the classroom. They may also help with preparing materials, setting up for activities, and cleaning up after class.
Classroom Assistant job duties include:
- Assisting the teacher in preparing lesson plans and materials
- Helping to set up the classroom before lessons and tidy up afterwards
- Supporting the teacher during lessons, e.g. by helping to manage behaviour or answering pupils’ questions
- Working with individual pupils or small groups on specific tasks
- Preparing and clearing away materials and equipment for art, music and other practical activities
- Listening to pupils read aloud or reading to them
- Helping pupils with their homework
- Marking pupils’ work and giving feedback
- Attending parents’ evenings and other meetings
- Undertaking administrative tasks such as photocopying
Classroom Assistant Job Requirements
There are a few requirements that one must meet in order to become a Classroom Assistant. A high school diploma or equivalent is required, as well as a Child Development Associate (CDA) credential or equivalent. Previous experience working with children in a school setting is also preferred. Classroom Assistants must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, and they must have the physical stamina to keep up with the demands of the job, which can be quite demanding at times.
Classroom Assistant Skills
- Classroom Management
- Knowledge of Child Development
- Strong Work Ethic
- Positive Attitude
- Love of Children
- Team Player
How to become a Classroom Assistant
There are many reasons you might want to become a Classroom Assistant. Maybe you love working with children, or perhaps you’re interested in education and want to gain some experience in the field. Whatever your reasons, if you’re looking for a rewarding and challenging job, working as a Classroom Assistant could be the perfect fit for you.
To become a Classroom Assistant, you will need at least a high school diploma or equivalent. In some cases, you may also need to complete a short training program. Once you have the necessary qualifications, the best way to find work is to contact your local school district and inquire about open positions.
When working as a Classroom Assistant, your duties will vary depending on the needs of the classroom you are assigned to. However, common tasks include supervising students during lunch and recess, helping with classroom activities and projects, and providing one-on-one assistance to students who need extra help. You will also be responsible for maintaining a safe and orderly learning environment.
If you have a passion for working with children and making a difference in their lives, becoming a Classroom Assistant is an excellent career choice. With patience, flexibility, and a willingness to learn, you can be successful in this role and make a positive impact on the lives of the students you work with.
Related: Classroom Assistant Resume Example