What does a Bellman do?
Learn all about Bellman duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Bellman.
Published 3 min read
A bellman is a hotel employee who helps guests with their luggage and provides other services as needed.
Bellman job duties include:
- Greet guests and provide them with assistance and information pertaining to the hotel, its services, and the surrounding area
- Help guests with luggage and transportation needs
- Coordinate bell staff activities to ensure prompt and courteous service to guests
- Answer guest questions and resolve guest problems
- Make announcements over the public address system as needed
- Maintain cleanliness and organization in all areas of the lobby and public spaces
- Assist other hotel departments as needed or requested
- Complete special projects as assigned by management
- Adhere to all hotel policies and procedures
Bellman Job Requirements
A bellman is responsible for providing excellent customer service to hotel guests. He or she must be able to lift heavy luggage, be friendly and helpful, and have knowledge of the hotel and surrounding area. A high school diploma is typically required, and some hotels may require certification from a professional organization such as the National Hotel Association. Previous experience in the hospitality industry is often preferred.
- Welcoming guests
- Carrying luggage
- Answering questions
- Directing guests
- Providing information
- Making reservations
- Assisting with check-in and check-out
- Transporting guests
- Stocking supplies
- Maintaining the lobby and public areas
- Reporting maintenance issues
How to become a Bellman
A bellman is a hotel employee who helps guests with their luggage and provides other services as needed. If you enjoy helping people and providing excellent customer service, becoming a bellman may be the right career choice for you. Here are a few tips on how to become a bellman:
1. Get a high school diploma or equivalent. While some hotels may not require a high school diploma, it will give you a leg up on the competition.
2. Complete a bellman training program. Many hotels offer in-house training programs that will teach you the specific skills you need to be successful in this role.
3. Get certified in CPR and first aid. This certification is not required, but it will certainly come in handy if you ever need to use these skills on the job.
4. Apply for jobs at hotels in your area. Start by applying for entry-level positions such as bellhop or luggage porter. Once you have gained some experience, you can apply for more senior roles such as lead bellman or concierge.
5. Provide excellent customer service at all times. Remember that your goal is to make each guest’s stay as enjoyable as possible. If you go above and beyond to help guests with their needs, you will be successful in this role.
Related: Bellman Resume Example