What does a 3D Artist do?
Published 3 min read
A 3D artist creates three-dimensional images using computer software. They may work on video games, movies, or other types of digital media. 3D artists typically have a background in graphic design or fine art.
3D Artist job duties include:
- Modeling three-dimensional objects using specialized software
- Applying textures and colors to the models
- Adding lighting and other effects to the scene
- Animating the models and objects
- Creating scenery and backgrounds
- Working with other artists and designers on the project
- Following instructions from the art director or lead artist
- Meeting deadlines for the project
- Revising models and scenes as needed
- Presenting the final product to the client or team
3D Artist Job Requirements
A 3D artist typically needs a bachelor's degree in graphic design, computer science, or a related field. They must also have experience with 3D modeling software and be able to create high-quality 3D images. Certification is not required, but it can show potential employers that the artist has the skills necessary to do the job.
3D Artist Skills
- 3D modeling
- 3D animation
- 3D rendering
- 3D printing
- 3ds Max
- After Effects
- Premiere Pro
How to become a 3D Artist
3D artists create three-dimensional images that are used in a variety of applications, including movies, video games, product design, and architecture. There are many different software programs that 3D artists use to create their work, but the basic process is the same: they start with a blank canvas and add shapes, colors, and textures to create an image.
To become a 3D artist, you will need to have strong drawing skills and a good understanding of color theory and composition. You will also need to be proficient in one or more 3D modeling software programs. If you want to specialize in a particular area, such as character design or environment design, it is helpful to take classes or get a degree in fine arts or computer graphics.
There is no one specific path to becoming a 3D artist. However, developing your skills and building a strong portfolio are essential if you want to succeed in this competitive field.
Related: 3D Artist Resume Example