How to Build a Pharmaceutical Sales Resume from Scratch
Here are some tips to help you write an outstanding pharmaceutical sales resume from scratch.
Do you want to know how to write a pharmaceutical sales resume that gets results? If so, then this post is for you. We are going to cover the basics of what skills are needed for this position, the perfect way to include your achievements in your resume, and some ways you can make sure your pharma sales resume is both persuasive and concise. Ready? Let’s go!
Pick the Ideal Format for your Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Resume
Whether you are writing your first resume or editing an existing one, the right format is crucial to get your qualifications noticed. The format of your pharma sales resume will be determined by the position for which you are applying, but generally speaking, the most popular formats are chronological and functional.
The best way to determine which type of pharma sales resume to use is to read the job description carefully. If you are applying for a position that does not require previous experience within the pharmaceutical industry and minimal skills in marketing and client relations, then a functional format may be best. On the other hand, if you have experience in pharmaceutical marketing and client relations management, then a chronological format might be better suited for you.
Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Resume Objective or Resume Summary
There are a few different ways to open your pharma sales resume. The easiest way is to state the job position you want and give a brief summary of why you're qualified for it.
Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Resume Objective
- Experienced pharmaceutical sales representative with excellent communication skills and proven ability to exceed quota
- Working knowledge of U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations and FDA guidelines
- Extensive experience in handling all aspects of selling pharmaceuticals, including both cold calling and one-on-one customer service
Job Description for Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Resume
The pharmaceutical sales representative is the person who’s responsible for selling pharmaceutical products to medical professionals. This person will have a background in medicine, pharmacy, or other fields related to healthcare. They are also well-versed in the pharmaceutical industry and can give their clients advice on which drugs would be best for specific illnesses or conditions.
The job description for this position is quite long because it requires being well-versed in many different industries. Pharmaceutical sales representatives are required to have strong communication skills, customer service experience, excellent problem-solving abilities, and they need to be able to maintain relationships with physicians, nurses, health care facilities, and pharmacists.
Don't forget to mention your Education
First, let's go over the skills that are needed for this job. You'll need to be an expert in pharmaceuticals, know how to market products effectively, and have strong communication skills.
There are many ways you can include your education in your pharma sales resume. You can list it at the top of the resume, or you may want to mention it in a separate section. If you go with listing it at the top of your resume, make sure you highlight your highest level of education first (such as a Doctorate).
If you choose to mention your education in a separate section, make sure that you include any relevant qualifications that come with that degree. For example, if you have an MBA from Harvard University then list "MBA from Harvard University" followed by "Recipient of several prestigious scholarships." This will show employers that not only did you graduate from Harvard but also received numerous scholarships while there.
List your Skills as Bullet Points
First, list your skills in bullet points. Here are some examples:
- Expert knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry
- Strong understanding of company products
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to utilize customer relationship management (CRM) technology to cultivate relationships with hospitals and physicians
Include a Cover Letter for your Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Resume
Before submitting your pharma sales resume, you should include a cover letter. This will be your opportunity to sell yourself to the hiring manager. You should take this opportunity to prove that you are the person who can help their company meet its goals.
The best way to do this is by highlighting your skills and experience in relation to what they are looking for. If they state they want someone who has expertise in marketing, make sure you mention all of your relevant marketing accomplishments. This will show them how qualified you are for the position.
Additionally, don't forget to mention any other qualifications that fit their needs! For instance, if they are looking for someone with excellent written skills, but you happen to have excellent oral skills as well, then this is an important detail that should be mentioned. The more impressive your qualifications are for this position, the better chance you have of getting it!
- The first thing you want to include on your pharma sales resume is your contact information.
- You will then want to list your skills. This email should include any pharmaceutical experience, marketing experience, or knowledge of the industry that would be relevant for this position.
- Be sure to include any accomplishments you have made. These are perfect for talking about any projects you have completed successfully or anything you have achieved in this field.
- If you are still in school, but have relevant work experience, it is important to mention the courses related to pharmaceuticals that you are currently studying or have taken in the past.
- Lastly, always keep your resume concise and persuasive! It's important to know that long resumes will not be looked at just because they're too long. Make sure every word counts and every sentence has meaning!